This coming March, the Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics will be celebrating National Nutrition Month®. This year’s theme is:
Put Your Best Fork Forward
Below is a proclamation from The Office of Idaho’s Governor proclaiming March 2017 to be National Nutrition Month® in Idaho.
National Nutrition Month® is a annual nutrition education and information campaign that was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. According to the Academy, “the campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.”
This year’s key messages are:
- Create an eating style that includes a variety of your favorite, healthful foods.
- Practice cooking more at home and experiment with healthier ingredients.
- How much we eat is as important as what we eat. Eat and drink the right amount for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Manage your weight or lower your health risks by consulting a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
To learn more about this year’s theme, check out the Academy’s Press Release on ‘For National Nutrition Month, Celebrated in March, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Encourages Everyone to ‘Put Your Best Fork forward’ and the National Nutrition Month® Celebration Toolkit.
For ideas on how you or your organization can celebrate National Nutrition Month®, check out the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ “36 Ideas to Get Involved in NNM“.
~Rachelle Ausman, RDN, LD, CHC Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Social Media Chair ®